Every business decision we make is in line with our purpose to benefit our stakeholders by assessing inherent risks and opportunities. We lead the way in adoption of best-in-class Environmental and Social (E&S) standards that create a multiplier effect through our funds and its portfolio companies. This is a key step towards consciously building a responsible investing business ecosystem.
Championing ESG Cause Across Our Funds And Platforms
Tackling Climate Change
Encouraging the adoption of E&S culture across funds and our platform companies
- Ensuring our funds and platform companies adopt and follow best-in-class E&S standards
- Supporting E&S capacity building and integration of E&S procedures across the organisations
- Automating of sustainability and climate change data to develop deeper insights on risk adjusted returns
- Mapping the impact through contributions to United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) tasks
Promoting usage of sustainable sources of energy
- Creating awareness to adopt alternate sources of energy at our investment sites
- Ensuring that all forms of process or packaging waste and end of life product waste is collected and recycled to its maximum capacity
Being a catalyst in building an ecosystem of platforms and partners
- Effectively communicating the importance of ESG, its requirements, risks and opportunities
- Driving the message to adopt best-in-class ESG principles across our portfolio companies and funds
We believe ESG integration is crucial to long term returns. Our E&S systems follow precautionary measures with the aim to mitigate risks and minimize impact on the communities in and around the areas of our investments.
NIIF envisions that all its businesses, portfolio companies and fund managers follow best-in-class E&S standards and international good practices. We conduct our operations in an ethical and responsible manner, adhering to all legal requirements and suitable good international best practices.
OUR E&S PHILOSOPHY
We have instilled a culture of livelihood development and community enhancement through our E&S practice. This is also reflected in our CSR initiatives. Through active implementation of our E&S principles, we take proactive steps in building resilience in communities close to our business operations.
IMPACT BEYOND NUMBERS
We are proactively involved in building a better and sustainable future for our communities by leveraging our competencies and engaging with our stakeholders. Through our portfolio companies and funds, we aim to create a difference, every single day.
ton+ waste annually
units worth renewable energy
Indian MSME businesses
through investee companies
Issues such as diversions, traffic interchange and lack of signage create accident prone areas on several roads and highways in India. We have taken proactive measures to improve such areas for a highway that we manage through Athaang Infrastructure, leading to enhanced safety for road users.
- We have successfully completed major maintenance of the Dichpally Tollway project. This has resulted in improved road quality and road markings thereby ensuring that the road users adopt higher safety measures especially for vehicles over speeding
- Installation of additional signages, solar blinkers and night light has resulted in reduced safety hazards on the site.
- As a result, in Q1FY22 the number of safety hazards has reduced by 37% as compared to Q1FY21.
- Better quality of road and safety measures has also resulted in enhancing the acceptability to toll compliance by the road users.
Ayana Renewables, a NIIF platform company implemented a skill development program in NP Kunta village which is close to its Anantapuram site of operations in Andhra PradeshImpact:
- Through this program, Ayana trained 184 youth of this village, of which 50% were women, thereby enabling them to explore suitable livelihood opportunities in solar parks in the vicinity.
- Considering the community value, Ayana is replicating similar skill development program at Bikaner site for the youth around the investment.
Ayana Renewables, a NIIF platform company created and executed a social awareness campaign titled, “IAMPower” on digital channels to build awareness on precautions to be taken for prevention of the spread of Covid-19Impact:
- Through this campaign, the company reached out to a million users on digital platforms and educating them on the Dos and Don’ts.
- Additionally, the team also took proactive measures to educate the field workers at the site through training, digital communication via WhatsApp to ensure minimised impact on their health and safety.
At NIIF, E&S requirements are completely integrated across the investment cycle. We have a dedicated Environment Management & Social Development Group (EMSD) with 45+ years of combined experience. The Group works closely with the investment teams with an oversight responsibility of the company’s portfolio companies and funds to drive ESG initiatives.
Our framework comprises of four investing principles:
E&S Risk Assessment and Management System
Environmental Risks and Management
Human Resources Management
Social Risks and
OUR COMMITMENTONE PLANET SOVEREIGN WEALTH FUND (OPSWF)
NIIF endorses the One Planet Sovereign Wealth Fund (OPSWF) framework, a platform created by global sovereign wealth fund community and asset managers. The underlying objective of this platform is to help organisations understand climate change risks and explore investment opportunities around the transition to low emissions economy. As an active member of OPSWF, NIIF has access to global best practices and policies that support the firm’s commitment in making sustainable investments across its funds.